Certificate in Narrative Focused Trauma Care Level III – Online
The Allender Center is committed to developing therapists and leaders who can effectively apply the Allender Theory to effect change and foster healing for those in need.
The Certificate in Narrative Focused Trauma Care Level III at The Allender Center is an in-depth continuation of our Certificates in Narrative Focused Trauma Care or an MA in Counseling Psychology with a Concentration in Trauma & Abuse from The Seattle School of Theology & Psychology. This program offers advanced training to leaders exhibiting a unique aptitude for the Allender Theory and practice.
Who Is This For?
- Lay leaders
- Helping professionals
- Leaders with missional alignment to do story work within and/or outside of The Allender Center context
- Extend your understanding and skill of the Allender Theory by hands-on training
- Increase competency to apply Allender Theory directly to group work through direct praxis
- Learn to identify and respond to group dynamics including story reenactment, and group attunement and containment
- Learn to engage and lead through relational rupture within a story group, and move towards repair to bring about restoration and healing
- Develop your personal application of the methodology
- Learn the practical application of starting a story group from beginning to end in order to initiate and lead a story group in your own context
- Equip yourself to lead a story group both in a personal and in a group setting
- Prerequisite training for anyone seeking to be a Fellow with The Allender Center
The Certificate in Narrative Focused Trauma Care Level III will take place online from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm PT on the following dates :
- August 26-27, 2022
- September 30, 2022
- October 21, 2022
- November 18, 2022
- December 9, 2022
- January 20, 2023
- February 24, 2023
- March 17-18, 2023
Your Experience Includes
- Live, interactive teaching from our skilled teaching team (25 hours total)
- Group work with a skilled Allender Center Facilitator (35 hours total)
- A monthly meeting rhythm designed to help you breakdown, understand and apply the content, and increase competency of theory application as it applies to group work
- Focused teaching and hands-on praxis applying Allender methodology to group story work
- A seamless learning environment hosted by Zoom technology with access to technical support during the program sessions
- Condensed teaching that supports extensive workshopping and robust discussion groups of key concepts
- Preparatory reading, films, and writing assignments to support your learning and development
- Videos to teach core learning concepts and provide examples of small group facilitation to further develop your story engagement skills
- Individual consultation to view a video of yourself engaging a story in a small group context and receive individualized feedback from a Level III leader
- Invitation to join other Narrative Focused Trauma Care Level I-III participants for breakout sessions focused on body care, supplemental teaching, and application of this work hosted by our staff and facilitators.
Leading a Story Group:
- Upon completion of Level III, participants will be equipped to lead story work group both in one-on-one and in group settings.
- We are looking for participants who have missional alignment to do story work within and/or outside of The Allender Center context.
- To best train program participants to be competent in leading a story group, participants are required to lead or co-lead their own 8-week Story Group in the winter/spring of 2023.
- Our desire is that story groups will be set up and take place within a participant’s own context (i.e. private practice, coaching practice, ministry, book group, etc.), and The Allender Center will provide the necessary group resources, support, and supervision that will simulate an Allender Center facilitated story group.
- For participants who do not have access to starting a group within their context, The Allender Center may provide them the support to do so.
- Story group consulting will be an integral part of the training sessions over the last three months of the Level III program.
- Access to refresher videos of core teaching content from the Certificate in Narrative Focused Trauma Care Levels I & II
- Access to the recordings of teaching sessions throughout the duration of the program year
How to Prepare
- Locate a space in your home or other location that is comfortable and offers privacy throughout the program
- High-speed internet connection and device: All small groups and teaching sessions will take place online. Stable internet connection with video and audio capabilities is required to participate.
Eligibility to Apply
To be eligible to apply for the Certificate in Narrative Focused Trauma Care Level III, you must have completed The Allender Center’s Certificate in Narrative Focused Trauma Care Level II (previously titled Training Certificate Level II), or have earned a MA in Counseling Psychology with a Concentration in Trauma & Abuse from The Seattle School of Theology & Psychology.
Continuing Education Units
Participants in the Certificate in Narrative Focused Trauma Care Level III at The Allender Center receive a certificate of completion verifying 50 seat hours (20 hours of teaching, 30 hours of group work). Participants may apply for recognition of these hours for CEU credit with their respective licensing bodies. The Allender Center is housed within The Seattle School of Theology & Psychology. The Seattle School is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS) and the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU), is authorized by the Washington Student Achievement Council, and meets the requirements and minimum education standards established for degree-granting institutions under the Degree-Granting Institution Act.
The Allender Center at The Seattle School will not be held responsible for professional licensing boards or states that do not recognize the requested CEUs.