Effective Trauma Care
Professional training for the compassionate engagement of trauma
The number of people who have experienced some form of trauma or abuse in their lifetime is staggering. These stories lie just beneath the surface for many, and the impact of these stories often goes unaddressed, even as the symptoms of past trauma are triggered throughout life. These symptoms—as varied as depression, struggles with relationships, anxiety, sexually acting out, and dissociation—can erupt unexpectedly in everyday connections with loved ones, friends, work contexts, and faith communities, often causing confusion and withdrawal for both the individual and their surrounding community. Effective Trauma Care is a seminar committed to cultivating a deeper understanding of the impact of trauma and abuse while equipping practitioners with the understanding and the tools to engage past trauma effectively.
Effective Trauma Care is a seminar for therapists, practitioners, ministry leaders, and advocates desiring a deeper understanding of the impact of trauma and abuse and a stronger grasp of the tools to engage individuals with courage and care. Effective Trauma Care utilizes Dr. Allender’s trauma-focused narrative therapy model to strengthen your capacity to holistically engage the consequences of harm expressed through nuanced beliefs, behaviors, symptoms, and patterns of relationship. The seminar carves out space for the practitioner to gain a fuller understanding of the intersections of their work and their own story as a starting place for developing awareness and practices that steward their own soul and well being in relation to this work.
This is no longer offered as a live event; however, this popular two-day training by Dr. Dan Allender was filmed in early 2023 and organized into eight teaching modules to help you work through the content at your own pace in the Effective Trauma Care Online Course.
What makes Effective Trauma Care unique?
We believe your capacity to engage the deepest issues of another’s heart is dependent upon your capacity to enter the places in your own heart that have suffered harm. Effective Trauma Care invites you to explore your own story more deeply as you develop deeper insight and tools to engage the stories of others with courage and care.
Effective Trauma Care engages the following therapeutic skillset categories:
- Inviting the present to be seen in light of the patterns and harm of the past—Engaging what the client is bringing in the here-and-now and how this connects to their larger narrative.
- Inviting safe entry into narratives of the past—Engaging the fostering of safety, ways to recognize and avoid re-traumatization, and best approaches for engaging stories of trauma in ways that are neurologically transformative and relationally freeing.
- Inviting awareness of the negative vows—Engaging the beliefs that a person has formed around their identity as a result of their past harm and utilizing them as keys to address the binds that limit change.
- Inviting desire—Engaging the defenses related to shame and the resistance related to blessing goodness, desire, and delight.
- Inviting redemption—Engaging and weaving hope of the gospel and the stories of brokenness, harm, and tragedy.
Effective Trauma Care training is invaluable for professional counselors, therapists, and social workers; pastors and ministry staff; domestic violence and sex trafficking advocates; support group leaders; and survivors of abuse seeking psychoeducation.